Tss 482 Visa to Permanent Residency

Pathways to apply for Permanent Residency on a Medium Term Temporary shortage skills 482 Visa:

  1. Employer Sponsored Temporary Transition Stream (ENS/RSMS) for those who are on the Medium Term list
  2. Employer Sponsored Direct Entry Stream ( ENS / RSMS )
  3. General Skilled Migration ( 189 / 190 / 489 )
  4. Partner Migration (As the partner/spouse/de facto of an Australian Permanent Resident or Citizen)

Medium-Term TSS 482 Visa

The medium-term Temporary skills shortage visa is:

  • granted for four years.
  • capacity for onshore visa renewals (not limited to one) and a
  • pathway to Australian permanent residency after three years.

This stream is relatively similar to the current 457 visa.

The medium-term 482 visa is aimed at applicants working in skilled occupation which the Government believes are critically needed – and will be needed in the longer term.

In order to qualify for this visa applicants must meet the following criteria:

  • your occupation must be on the Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List.
  • At least two years of relevant work experience is required.
  • The existing 457 program only requires the applicants to have a closely-related qualification at the correct level and do not require work experience. For the TSS Visa each occupation still has a minimum work experience requirement – either three years or five years – based on the skill level of the nominated occupation.
  • Candidates must be paid at the minimum salary for the position
  • police check.

Employers must:

  • Do Labour market testing
  • Employers will be required to pay a $3000 or $5000 training levy to the Australian Government for all 186 / 187 applications.

482 Visa To PR in 2018

Medium-Term TSS visa holders who have been working in Australia with the same employer for three years may be eligible to apply for Permanent Residency though the Transitional (TRT) Stream. Based on their postcode being regional or Metropolitan Australia, TSS visa holders will apply through either the Employer Nominated Scheme (186 ENS) or the Regional Employer Sponsored Scheme (187 RSMS). The employer must be willing to sponsor the candidate for permanent residency under the Temporary Residence Transition stream and must lodge a valid nomination with the Department of Home Affairs (Previously the Department of Immigration). This is one of the most common pathways to permanent residency and gives you all the PR entitlements.


If you are granted a 457 visa after 18 April 2017 off the MLTSSL list, it can be granted for 4 years. You will be able to be apply for a permanent 186/187 visa after 3 years on a 457 visa if that company decides to nominate you.

Can I apply for 186 Transition after applying being on a 2 year TSS 482 Visa + 1 year TSS 482 visa: There will be one (only) further extension allowed after that for another 2 years. You will not be allowed to apply for a permanent 186/187 visa under that occupation if it is on the STSOL.